The European (EU) project; Farmer-Led Beef Livestock Investment and Sustainability (FALBIIS) targets direct beneficiaries selected from 33 primary livestock cooperative societies of the Uganda Meat Producers Cooperative Society Ltd (UMPCU).
FALBIIS is a 38-month project equivalent to Euro 1,800,000 from the EU and Euro 300,000 contribution from UMPCU farmers. At a stakeholders meeting held on the 18th September 2019, at Eureka Place hotel in Kampala, the direct beneficiaries discussed mainly breeding objectives, the revolving fund, and animal fattening.
The Chairman UMPCU Executive Eng. Robert Ssenozi appreciated the active involvement of the participants and called on other UMPCU members to join the scheme. He said there will be farmer exchange visits so that members can learn different methods of livestock production from one another.
Under FALBIIS, is the Livestock Extension Assurance Fund (LEAF) programme where beneficiaries contribute UGX30,000/= per animal and receive a number of benefits:
- One mandatory visit from a qualified UMPCU veterinary doctor
- Vaccination of cattle against FMD, once every 12 months
- All animals subscribed for (4 times a year) dewormed
- Receive up to 14.4L of acaricide per animal subscribed for
- Receive pasture planting materials (at least 5 acres per farmer but not more than 20 acres per farm) etc.